• News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
    Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Saury Festival 2023 - Big Rewards

[UPDATE - Saury Event ends Nov. 28th 11am JST] In the event some of you don't know already, the 2023 Saury Festival is upon us and there are some HUGE rewards available. So if you know any on & off or casual type players, you may want to let them know to participate and get the goods while one can. While most here already know a lot of the following, I've added some commentary for the occasional newer/returning player just in case.

Please see ENWiki's Saury Festival page for the details, especially if you want to do 2311 F1 (and you should) which will require certain ships and equipment (see below). You can get said equipment and ships from the other quests.

Friendly Reminder - make sure to complete all "have X number of Saury in inventory" type quests, before using Saury for rewards. 56 Saury should be enough to get everything done. Any extra you can turn into devmats/screws or the other options.
    • 46 Saury nets you a Hayabusa MII 64th Squadron(!) - arguably still the best all-around LBAS fighter. So definitely make sure to do enough fishing to get one.
    • Sortie Quest 2311 B5 nets you a Type 4 Hiryuu + Guided Missile which is a very good range 5 LBAS bomber with some AA resistance and also fodder for the next quest...
    • Arsenal Quest 2311 F1 upgrades your Type 4 Hiryuu + Guided Missile to a Type 4 Hiryuu + Guided Missile (Skilled) +1. This formerly was something only T20 rankers had. Check ENWiki for exactly what you need for this including fodder mentioned above & 10 Saury, but do note that it requires a Ki-96 +7. You can get a Ki-96 +4 and required upgrade fodder from other quests. NOTE you will need Yamashio Maru (see below) to improve said Ki-96.

For new/returning/casual players there are quite other few noteworthy rewards such as Akashi (as usual these days), a good AS (choice of Jingei or Chougei), and choice of Yamashio Maru or Kumano Maru. As noted, you need Yamashio Maru to upgrade Ki-96 so chose her if you don't have her already. You can farm for some of these (e.g. Yamashio Maru), but have to decide is it worth the time/effort vs. 1 medal or for the AS (to extent can farm) worth the cost of 3x Irako.

------------------------

In addition to all of the above, there are some noteworthy improvements/crafting changes. So RIP more screws.
    • Kumano Maru & Yamashio Maru now increase chance of both T1 Hayabusa II and T2 Two-seat Toryuu (could have used that when I was doing quest F107, but whatever).
    • Passive Radiolocator (E27) + Type 22 Surface Radar Kai 4 (Calibrated Late Model) can now be put in a number of ships RE If it is improved to at least +4, and of course is now improvable.
    • T22 RADAR K4 (Calibrated Late Model) is now improvable.
    • Salmon's & Scamps torpedoes are now improvable. Do keep in mind that as far as I know (and still stated on ENWiki), Salmon's "late model" torpedo doesn't count as a late model for SS(V) special attacks.
    • Late Model 53cm Bow Torps (8 tubes) can now be improved.
    • Submarine Radar & Passive Radiolocator (E27) can now be improved.
    • And finally, Submarine 53cm Bow Torps (8 tubes), 21inch 4-tube Bow Torps (Initial Model), and 21inch 6-tube Bow Torps (Initial Model) can all be upgraded to Late Model versions (though again one does wonder if the 21 inch 4 tube LM will ever count as LM torps for SS(V) special attacks).

----------------------------

Lastly, I would be interested in opinions/comments of those dropping by the forum on the above.

Of the new improvable equipment, what's worth doing? Bit hard to say right now given I don't know screw & fodder costs, but Passive Radiolocator (E27) + Type 22 Surface Radar Kai 4 (Calibrated Late Model) to at least +4 is now on my list of upgrades. I'm also considering upgrading a Submarine 53cm Bow Torpedo Mount (8 tubes) to the late model version, but I still have MANY improvement projects I'd like to complete (or mostly complete at least). Possibly (but doubtful) is improving one T22 Kai 4 RADAR (LM calibrated). Might come in handy during an event to put in an RE, but a bit hard to justify with so much other equipment to still improve.

1 out of 0 members found this post helpful.
    Last edited by goesto11; 11-18-2023 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Update
    Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

Server
    Paramushir
    Rep
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    I don't see anything really worth improving. SS are rarely used so improving their equipments isn't a priority and we mainly use GFCS as radar (maybe one can improve the other radars at +4 but again not a priority IMO).

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    @Ink20: Thanks. I'm still going to do the Passive Radiolocator (E27) + Type 22 Surface Radar Kai 4 (Calibrated Late Model) to +4 or +5 (depending upon fodder) since that can go in RE. Can't put GFCS in RE (for some reason). That being said, a lot depends upon how good GGTR is vs. GTRL IMO. Can go GGTR with 12.7cm Mod D K3 & Mod D K2, but get higher multiplier with 2x Mod D K3 which you can now do if you did the one mini-event and the new quests. To be honest, don't know just how good GGTR. I suppose you could have other situations where RADAR in RE is the better load out as well, but usually it's down to NB special attacks.

As for the subs, yeah, not really all that important. Spring event this year was much more exception that rule in terms of needing subs with top equipment. I did look at improving sub torps, but as you suggested, rarely used and you only get +2 torp at max improvement. Just doesn't seem worth the time/expense.

Server
    Paramushir
    Rep
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    It's just that GGTR has no room for TSLO so I don't see myself using it except on high luck DD (but in that case I may just use the usual TCI) and improvements on surface radars just affect LoS and accuracy so it's usually not that important.

Last edited by Ink20; 11-03-2023 at 04:39 AM.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    @Ink20: Fair point about trigger chance bonus with SLO, but if fully luck modded, you get some huge numbers with GGTR, but not 100% sure on exact mechanics. I know TTTL often thought greater than GTRL b/c of higher average (albeit I also see some inconsistent comments about TTTL > GTRL, then GTRL OK for say Yuugumo and maybe Kagerou class DD so IDK). But GGTR vs. TTTL? Not sure. Never really considered it b/c needed 4 slots and could not do that with guns, torp & RADAR except on Tashkent, but now certain ships can equip RADAR in RE.

As for RADAR improvement, I'm also not sure how much/little the accuracy boost counts. Long time ago, I swear I read that at least for guns, accuracy from improvement didn't count for NB. So, not sure how much the accuracy bonus will help for NB with GTRL & GGTR. The LoS bonus is nice for meeting harder LoS requirements, but generally not a huge deal. However, for Air RADAR, you do get a good fleet AA bonus with improvement.

Last edited by goesto11; 11-03-2023 at 04:52 AM.